Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger licking recipes for my family. As with every other home maker, I was thinking of something to cook for dinner bored of the everyday regular dishes and I found these makhanas in my kitchen.Being low in fat and high in magnesium, these are perfect for those seeking low calorie foods.So, I thought why not try something with these, and made this delectable recipe-
Makhana (lotus seeds/ fox nuts)- 1 cup
Green Peas(boiled)- 3 tbsp
Onions(chopped)- 4 tbsp
Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
Yogurt(whisked) – 2 cups
Cumin Seeds- 2 pinches
Garlic (chopped)- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tbsp
Green chilies(finely chopped)- 1/2 tsp
Cream(full fat)- 1/2 cup
Sugar- 1 tsp
Salt- as per taste
How to Make-
- Take 2 tbsp of clarified butter in a heavy bottom pan and heat it on medium flame. Add makhana to it and fry until brown.
- Put the makhana aside in a bowl and in the same pan, take some butter and add chopped garlic and cumin seeds to it.
- When it starts changing color, add chopped onions and cook till they turn transparent.
- Add tomato puree, green peas, green chilies, salt, turmeric powder, sugar and cook the gravy until it starts leaving the sides of the vessel.
- Add yogurt and turn the flame to low.
- Add the makhana and cream to the gravy and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with the herbs of your choice and serve hot.
Make sure not to overcook the yogurt or cook it at high flame, or else it may form lumps.
If the consistency of the gravy is too thick, add some milk to it before adding the makhana.