Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger- licking recipes for my family.
I love experimenting with food and so, I try making small and simple changes in everyday meals, if possible, to give it a new taste. So, my latest attempt this time is Poha. Poha is a very popular Indian breakfast which is actually flattened dry rice flakes. Being extremely light, it doesn’t get you high on calories that easy. I love having it for my evening snacks and at times, for dinner as well. So here’s a recipe you can try with this amazing food-
Rice flakes- 1 cup
Potato(thinly sliced)- 1
Sweet Corn kernels- 1/3 cup
Green Chili(chopped)- 1/2 tsp
Garlic(chopped) 1/2 tsp
Pomegranate- for garnish
Mustard Seeds-1/4 tsp
Salt- as per taste
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Sugar- 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil- 5tsp
How to make-
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it.
- Once the mustard seeds start to splatter, add chopped garlic and fry till it starts changing color.
- Add onions and potatoes and cook until they soften.
- After the potatoes start softening, add carrots, corn, peanuts, salt, green chilies, turmeric powder and sugar to it and cook till the spices mix well.
- Rinse the poha with water 2-3 times and drain the excess water. Mix the poha well with the rest of the dish and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Don’t rinse the poha for too long or squeeze too hard else it might break or get all mushy.