Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger- licking recipes for my family.
I’ve been reading a lot of cake recipes lately and really wanted to try one. But then, you know, all the sugar and high calorie stuffs would come haunt me up. So I thought why not infuse a simple snack in that cake form so I get to satisfy both of my needs and came up with this egg less salty cake. Yep, it’s totally egg less and calorie free as well! Now it may sound bizarre to have veggies in a cake, but anyhow I tried it and it was spot on! Plus you can always, always have it for your evening snack. Added advantage-I made my lil one eat all the veggies through this(Mission accomplished!). So, it’s healthy, it’s delicious and it looks beautiful- I don’t think there’s another reason needed to try it. I’ve added yogurt and effervescent salt here to replace the eggs (the salt I used was the basic Eno fruit salt). Also, you can use a variety of veggies- whatever you like or are available in your kitchen. Here’s how you can make this cake-
Effervescent salt-5 gms
Table Salt- as per taste
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Green chili -1
Cherries- for garnishing
How to make-
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, onions, capsicum, carrots, sugar and green chilies with salt and sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix semolina,yogurt and effervescent salt for the batter.Add water if required.
- Once the veggies cool down, add them to the batter.
- Grease the cake mold and pour the batter in it.
- Now take 2 cups of water in a pot place a metal ring or base to place the mold when the water starts boiling.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook it for 10-15 minutes on high flame. Keep checking the cake in between by poking the cake with a knife or fork.
- Take out the cake from the mold and serve with cherries on top as it cools.
Want more healthy snack recipes? Try our beet bites. Complete recipe here!