Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger- licking recipes for my family.
Potatoes are one of the favourite vegetables of entire India. You name it and we can use it in almost everything- be it main course, starters, flat breads, side dishes or even desserts. Those of you familiar with Indian cuisine would know how often we use it with every other vegetable, it’s like a universal ingredient for us when it comes to creating a variety of combos. My kid loves it more than any other vegetable and being so simple and easy to make, I love them equally- you got nothing else to make? Just sauté some boiled ones with spices and there we have something to serve for lunch! I mean who wouldn’t like that. The recipe I’ve made this time comes on the list of my comfort food- Dahi Aloo, which is actually made with potatoes in a mild yogurt based gravy. You can also use it as a side if you’re planning a fancy multi- course meal. Here’s how you can make this tangy recipe-
Red Onion – 1
Yogurt- 3-4 tbsp
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Pepper- to taste
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green Chilli(chopped)- 1/2 tsp
How to make-
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they start to splatter, add ginger- garlic paste, green chili, sliced onions, and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the mix till the onions turn translucent and the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the flame to medium and keep checking the potatoes constantly.
- Once the potatoes are soft enough, take them off the heat and add the yogurt mixing it well with the potatoes. Garnish with the herbs of your choice and serve.
Love potatoes? Check out Tandoori Aloo Paratha recipe here!