Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger- licking recipes for my family.
Sorry for the late post- had been busy for this whole week (tough days you know!), took me a while to write this one. So this week, I have another delectably healthy recipe for you- Besan ke Gatte. It’s actually gram flour dumplings in a tangy tomato based gravy. Now, steaming and boiling are one of the least used techniques in cooking and as a matter of fact, are one of the healthiest ones as well. I love to have this recipe for lunch when I want something fulfilling and healthy at the same time. And added advantage- it’s glutten free as well! It may seem a little messy to make, but tastes absolutely amazing. Here’s how you can make this recipe-
Gram Flour- 1 cup
Onions -2 (pureed)
Tomato Puree- 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves- 4-5(crushed)
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Green chili- 1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida- 2-3 pinch
Oil- 5-6 tbsp
How to make-
- Take gram flour in a bowl and add chopped onions, green chili, and about 2 tbsp of oil to it.
- Knead it into a dough by adding water as per the requirement.
- Roll it into long cylindrical shapes as shown above.
- Boil water in a pan and add the rolled dough to it.
- Cook it for 10-15 minutes and turn the flame to medium later. Take the rolls out once they start floating in the water and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds,garlic and onion puree to it.
- Add tomato puree once it starts changing color.
- Add salt, green chili, turmeric and asafoetida to it.
- Once it starts leaving the sides of the pan, add the stock strained after boiling the gatte.
- Add the gatte to it and turn off the flame when the gravy starts to thicken. Garnish with the herbs of your choice and serve.
Love cooking with gram flour? Check out our Kadhi Pakora recipe!