Hey everyone, Welcome to foodbymama- a homemaker’s guide for those who love food and cooking and basically everything about it. I try using the simplest ingredients to create finger- licking recipes for my family.
Lentils are a vital part of Indian food- they’re actually more like a staple ingredient in our everyday food. In fact, my mother in law generally cooks one lentil or the other for dinner. Well I don’t cook lentils that often, but they’re surely a regular in my kitchen. And trust me, other than minor differences, almost all dals(lentils) require similar ingredients to make. The one I’ve tried here is the split Red gram, popularly known as Arhar dal in India (it’s the same dal used to make the delicious Sambhar as well). Here’s how you can make this easy dal for a perfect lunch-
Arhar Dal(split Red gram)- 2 cup
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Ginger- garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green Chili(chopped)- 1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Red chili powder- 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
How to make-
- Soak the arhar dal in water for about half an hour and pressure cook in water with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. Once the seeds start to splatter, add the ginger- garlic paste.
- As the paste starts changing color, add the onions and saute them until they turn translucent.
- Add the tomato puree,green chili and red chili powder to the onions.
- Once this mix starts leaving the sides of the pan, add dal along with the stock to it.
- Bring the dal to a boil and take it off the flame.Garnish with coriander and serve with steamed rice/flat bread.
It is very important to add the right amount of water for pressure cooking the lentils- about 3 cups should do for the amount of lentils mentioned above (just make sure the dal is soaked well enough in water in the pressure cooker). Also, the dal and water must be well mixed once it has cooked, or else it would affect the taste of the dal. If you feel the lentils and water have not mixed well and the lentils seem separated out, boil them with the lid of the pressure cooker removed.